Friday, February 19, 2016

Brad Gowins, Intern at Ashland Parenting Plus

Brad Gowins is an intern at Ashland Parenting Plus.  Their mission is "to enhance the lives of families in our community by educating and empowering parents; by promoting responsible decisions regarding parenthood; and by offering opportunities for children to learn, grow and mature in a nurturing environment."

Tell us a little bit about your internship placement, your job duties, and the activities you’ve been involved in. 

I have been working as a group facilitator in the Teen Pregnancy Prevention program where I go in to schools once a week and have group session with juvenile males where we talk about different life skill topics.  I've also spent time working as a Diversion mentor, which is working with young men one on one who have been referred to the program either by the school or court ordered.  In this role, I work with the youth on building skills and gaining assets as well as teaching empowerment skills. 
How has Ashland University’s Social Work Program prepared you for your internship?   

The AU SW program is run by two professors who have been in the field and who are teaching the most current body of knowledge. I have felt prepared since day one at my internship because of what I’ve learned from Dr. Udolph and Dr. Vimont.  

What have you enjoyed most about your internship so far?

I’ve enjoyed becoming familiar with the different areas that my agency is involved in. I’ve anyways wanted to work with kids, but have been single-minded about what that job would be. In this position it's been great to have my eyes opened to another possibility.  
 

More information about Ashland Parenting Plus can be found here.  

All social work students undergo a 500-hour internship in their senior year, during which they put into practice the skills they have learned throughout their time at Ashland University while gaining valuable experiences to prepare them for employment or graduate studies after graduation.  For more information about Ashland University’s Social Work Program, please visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment